mrcubefan

64 drive doesn't save

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi everyone!, i was happily playing majora's mask, turned off the n64 after done playing, then next day i tried to resume the game but not save file!, check if the save file exist (via card reader) and its there. load bomberman64 (last saved game in v1 firmware) the save is ok, BUT if i continue the file it doesnt save the current progress.
then load mario golf (first time loading the game), get luigi, save, reset and no progress found! (check if the save file is in the sd card and, yep, is there).using the "store the save file in same directory of loaded rom", also erased the config file, but no luck.
all the save related problems start when upgraded the cart to v2, in v1 the cart was working perfectly.
Any suggestions?

mrcubefan

Re: 64 drive doesn't save

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Finally go it working, formatting the sd card seems to fix the problem.

byc

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:39 pm

I have this exact issue on a Toshiba 4GB microSDHC, but formatting didn't help. SRAM and Flash aren't being saved properly, but EEPROM types are fine. Whenever I save in Ocarina of Time, it reverts to my original file as if it didn't even update it at all. Saving in Pokemon Snap wiped out my save file, but newly saved games weren't retained. Same goes for Paper Mario and all the other SRAM/Flash games. When 64drive is set to reset to game, it loads the save from memory, even though it didn't save to the card.

Weirdly enough, it successfully saves the sound settings in OoT, but I can't copy a save file, or save within one.

I tried a an equivalent 4GB Sandisk card and it is completely fine. I don't understand. It was working fine before 2.00.

MasterOfPuppets

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Have you updated to 2.01?

byc

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Yes, I'm on latest firmware and menu (1.12e? and 2.01).

marshallh
Site Admin

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:49 am

DId you ever find what was the problem with your N64 crashing at random times, like a 3rd party expansion pak?

Anyway, there are several things this could be
1. Perfect storm of SD incompatbility
You can test this by loading a skinned background. Will need Expansion Pak.
Copy "background.jpg" <100KB, exactly 640x480 and let it process the image. You should see an error-free background. Now reboot, the background should still be there.
If there were any errors in the background image after rebooting, then there are problems with writing long blocks to that SD and I need to fix it.

2. All those saves are fragmented and SWB could have a bug in a corner case handling that.

3. Weird FS bug causing the menu to get confused when telling the cartridge about the save files.

byc

Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:43 pm

I'll update this post when I get time to test it. I can't seem to find the damn thing.

Also no. That N64 never turned on again since then. I may have turned it on before the contacts were fully dry, when using iso alcohol to clean the contacts. But the problem was definitely not contact related. I tried multiple expansion paks and jumper paks. I just ended up getting a picking up a replacement console. :(

byc

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 am

Well damn, I found the microSD lodged in my old phone's SIM slot. Must have been drinking when I put the microSD card back in the phone

This SD card (Toshiba C04G) indeed fails your test. Upon rebooting, the background was mostly black, with a thin bar of colored noise at the top. It had no problems before the SWB update.

Also, is there a specific size of bytes where a background will fail to convert? I tried it with a 99400 byte JPG and it freezes during it.

Return to “Issues”