mistamontiel00

Question regarding pak saves

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:04 pm

There's a slew of saves on Gamefaqs .. it seems that they're all .n64 format , then other sites are in .mpk

Is there a way I can stick these in the virtual .bin so I can put in my pak ?

byc

Re: Question regarding pak saves

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:51 am

I'm pretty sure you can just strip off the first 0x1040 bytes and it will be in perfectly valid mpk format.

There's an old DOS program that converts them and probably just does the same thing:
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/64scener ... xdrive.htm

Look for "MEMPAK SAVE CONVERTER V1.0". You will need to use DOSBox.

mistamontiel00

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:44 am

Thank ya byc for the hand .. :oops: am I doing it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBopJtjvXyI

byc

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:00 am

Yeah you're golden. Just rename Z64SAVE.MPK to whichever vpak.bin file you want. Then copy it to your mempak on the 64drive menu and it should work.

mistamontiel00

Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:37 am

WOW sire. Ye is holiest of all :mrgreen:

THANKS !!! Now I don't have to get good at the painful but awesome Turoks to see stuff .. very cool but also brings me to 64drive flaw

You can't copy/erase by game it is all er nothing. Not just that , when I did the copy all of the turokrw into my pak , it wiped it clean :o

Good thing only slightly useful save was like the one race in World Driver .. lol

EDIT: That being said is there a way I can keep adding to .bin file so I have a compilation of saves rather than one at a time

byc

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:26 pm

You can probably do that using the N-Rage Input plugin. It has a little mempak manager where you can save and insert notes. It's not the best, but it'll work.

Yeah you just overwrote your save files. I think 64drive would be better off with a "Switch out" feature instead of having to overwrite stuff. Like if you choose virtpak6, they switch places, so whatever was on your real pak was moved to virtpak6, etc.

mistamontiel00

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Ok I'll fiddle with PJ64 v1.6 shortly

That site has some neato saves. But on Gamefaqs too I am seeing the same thing that is tripping me up

Native saves like EEPROM and such all seem to be .n64 extension ? How would I go about this ?

marshallh
Site Admin

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:44 pm

If they are exactly the same size as a .eep, you might be able to use them just by renaming to the file the 64drive created. SRAM/flash saves may need to be endian-swapped

byc

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:43 pm

That site has some neato saves. But on Gamefaqs too I am seeing the same thing that is tripping me up

Native saves like EEPROM and such all seem to be .n64 extension ? How would I go about this ?
They are all DexDrive saves - I am guessing people dumped the native save directly from the cart using a GameShark, then used the DexDrive to back it up. The problem with that is that they're still in the mempak format, and you have to extract them to be of any use.

If you open those .a64 files that N-Rage makes in a text editor, you can copy out the hex bytes (ignore "a64-crc"), and paste them in a hex editor. If the file is 512 bytes it should work, just rename it to .eep so that it matches the game filename.

mistamontiel00

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:14 pm

marsh thank you for weighing in .. I have hardly seen/desired SRAM/flash .. maybe the wrassling games if there's even anything extra to be had/not achievable with Gameshark

I have lost my mind looking @ hex ( HexEdit v4 ) :shock:

byc , as for the N-Rage plugin ye has suggested to pump out .a64 .. it will only load the paks .mpk

I have been attempting firstly on Donkey Kong 64 EEPROM out of Dexdrive format , yet I've hit roadblock near-immediately :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NraU95XgpBs

Return to “General”