byc

Emulators

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:41 am

For the life of me I can't get Jos Kwanten's UltraMSX2 or UltraSMS emulator to work on 64drive. It's supposed to work on other devices like V64 or neomyth, no clue why it's not working here. I tried multiple ROM insertion tools, tried fixing the CRC's. It supposedly works the same way Neon64 does. I just get no signal when it boots.
UltraSMS offset: 0x1B410
UltraSMS size rom limit: 512 KiB (524288 bytes)
UltraMSX2 offset: 0x2DF48
UltraMSX2 size rom limit: 128 KiB (131072 bytes)
There is also GnuBoy64. Looks like a promising GB emu with 64drive support but can't find a compiled rom anywhere and I can't figure out how to compile this thing.

I want to play with these :mrgreen:

Update: UltraSMS/MSX will boot fine if the file size is padded to 1052672 bytes. I guess the original versions are too small. Also the CRC in the ROM must be updated.

Tim.

Re: Emulators

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:13 pm

Byc,

Can you provide some more information on how to got UltraSMS/MSX working? Perhaps links to tutorials or tools?

Thanks!

byc

Re: Emulators

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Sure, like I said in the 'edit' part of first post, the reason UltraSMS/MSX doesn't work is because the Patched.v64 rom file is too small, 64drive doesn't like files smaller than 1052672 bytes in size.

I did make a tool that makes rom inserting a breeze, but these emulators don't run too great so didn't bother to post it. ultraMSX2 barely runs anything (F1 Spirit works and is pretty fun), and ultraSMS has buggy sound. I'd be more interested in getting gnuboy64 to run, but have no clue how to compile n64 C programs :cry:

Anyway here it is:
insrom.zip
(151.29 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
Basically it's a command line program that is executed like so:

Code: Select all

insrom <baserom_path> <insertrom_path>
<baserom_path> is the path to either UltraSMS.v64 or UltraMSX.v64 (supplied in zip), and <insertrom_path> is the path to the GG/MSX rom.
You would then run:

Code: Select all

n64crc patched.z64
To fix the CRC checksum. Then you're done.

To make life easier, there are two batch files in the zip: copy-msx.bat and copy-sms.bat. Just drag over GG/MSX rom to the correct batch file and everything is done for you, then copy to SD card.

Return to “General”