Kaneco

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 am

I am shooting to have 720p as well for a baseline fallback mode. Not sure if it will look very good resampled to fit 720p.
Sounds good, hopefully everything works for the best with all the further testing ahead! :)

ggoerl

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm

is there any hope in the future for the hdmi converter to be compatible for the gamecube as well? the price of the component cable keeps rising.

whyat

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:49 pm

is there any hope in the future for the hdmi converter to be compatible for the gamecube as well? the price of the component cable keeps rising.
There is already a guy working on a dvi board for the gamecube and someone who has designed and released a working schematic using different chips that will give component out of the gamecube. I am getting sick of people asking about the gamecube, the n64 needs this board and I am hoping this board will be dedicated for the n64 as then the outcome would be far superior than that of a universal board. '_'

ggoerl

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:59 pm

oh is that so? I was just asking question, because I don't recall seeing anyone in this thread asking about the gamecube although I may be wrong. Take your hostility and use it towards the impatient people who keep asking when this converter is going to come out. And please feel free to state sources to back up your facts as I would like to see. All I am aware of is that there were two people who were working on the gamecube but the projects were abandoned. Marshall seems to be the last hope as component cable prices keep rising.

Tsurugi_Takuma

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:22 am

Link to GC board is on the first page of this thread...

meneerbeer

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Let's all just relax. :)

The existing GC mod is somewhat simple. It will convert the GC picture with minimal amount of processing into HDMI/Component. It does not do any upscaling/format processing (allthough it seems you can enable line doubling for 480i, but that is kind of a waste of resolution). It seems the mod will also have audio over HDMI support, since there is an open implementation of that available now. The mod can be done fairly cheap, but unfortunately I have not seen anyone that has installed it inside a Gamecube. Instead I have seen a lot of wires coming out of the Gamecube that were connected to an external PCB.

whyat

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:13 am

Is there still any plans for GC support on these new boards marshal? Love the new forums btw. Is there going to be a modding section?
Since the new board is pretty specifically designed to fit inside a N64 it might be better to do a custom pcb for the Gamecube.

It looks amazing!
Good to hear that the Gamecube have a chance on these ones.
I pulled 3 quotes from the first page alone.
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... =26&t=2500
https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/s ... e-solution
There are more threads talking about things for the gamecube, I just don't feel like making a big post. Also I am not hostel or upset, you just need to read the first 10 pages and your question would have been answered.

marshallh
Site Admin

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Lots of people have asked me about doing a "proper" HDMI mod for Gamecube like the N64 one that's going to be out soon. I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised at how clean and pro it is.
I am very much considering it, since video wise it presents many of the same "problems" that N64 produces.

Here's a very large picture showing 1:1 pixel correspondence with raw VI output.
You'll notice the N64 is horizontally blurring 320 to 640 pixels. I never noticed it before running 1:1 pixels on the display.
http://retroactive.be/img/i/ra5503a8fa41ceb4281.jpg

marshallh
Site Admin

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Also, I will be at the Midwest Gaming Classic in Wisconsin, Apr 11-12. The con has gotten bigger every year and I expect it to be a complete mosh-fest again. HDMI and 64drive will be there, as well as some new stuff that I have not publicly announced anywhere! (I won't be selling at the event).
Find it by looking for "Ben Heck Experience" or "Portables of Doom".

inspectah

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:51 am

This sounds great.
Can´t wait to see the finished product.

Personally I´m not that interested in a HDMI Gamecube mod anymore, since Nintendont homebrew on Wii U came a long way.
Together with the official Gamecube adapter, widescreen hacks, forced 480p and of course the HDMI out of the Wii U it presents a "proper" Gamecube for me.

Return to “Hardware”