3l3tric

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:32 am

I know Nintendo consoles were spoken of as potential candidates for future ports, but is there any chance of an HDMI board for Sony PSX or Sega Saturn/Dreamcast based on the UltraHDMI's technology?

meneerbeer

Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:58 pm

I know Nintendo consoles were spoken of as potential candidates for future ports, but is there any chance of an HDMI board for Sony PSX or Sega Saturn/Dreamcast based on the UltraHDMI's technology?
There already is something coming out for Dreamcast: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/seg ... oon.56357/

No upscaling to 1080p, but most Dreamcast games do 480p.

PS1 is kind of tricky. There are 24 data lines, only for the video data that would need to be tapped.. It would be cool, but the effort might be too high, considering you can play them on PS3 as well. Sure it is not the same thing.

byc

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Question: How are PAL-only titles treated? Games like Taz Express, Rakuga Kids, Airboarder 64 and 40 Winks, etc.

supermario3

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:24 pm

i wasn't trying too come off as disrespectful i just want to know who would be a good person to buy it already modded in to the system. that's all because not everyone knows how sodder right for instant i saw an rgb mod of the n64 and the colors etc. ok that's why i asked it's because i don't know how to sodder and i want to get one before it's gone because i really like this mod a whole lot.

marshallh
Site Admin

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:53 am

The hardware was finalized earlier this month and it's in low volume test production.

Now, the firmware still needs lots of work. I'm having to constantly rejigger things to get all the stuff to fit.

Mrrom92

Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:28 am

Marshall, I just had to join and say that this is great news. Congratulations! I have been following the development of this very closely and I have been very impressed with the work, and the perfect quality of the video output. I will be using mine 1:1 just for the raw output and hopefully with good hardware it should scale nicely.

I am handy with soldering although for convenience I may just send my console to one of the individuals you plan on wholesaling the boards to. I do have one of the later colored models, so being that it is a little more complicated to tap into the digital video on these boards it may be better to have someone more experienced do it anyway, lest I mess up and ruin my cherished childhood console.

One thing I haven't seen much discussion on is the audio and how it is done - how are you getting this off the board? Is it just tapping analog lines off the board and going into ADC for convenience of having audio with the picture? Or is it actually a direct digital output like the picture is now?
If so, Is there any resampling involved? or is it the original samples being output raw? If so, how are games with differing sample rates handled?

Very curious as I'd love to get perfect digital output from the console as well. In any case - great work so far!

meneerbeer

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:22 am

Marshall, I just had to join and say that this is great news. Congratulations! I have been following the development of this very closely and I have been very impressed with the work, and the perfect quality of the video output. I will be using mine 1:1 just for the raw output and hopefully with good hardware it should scale nicely.

I am handy with soldering although for convenience I may just send my console to one of the individuals you plan on wholesaling the boards to. I do have one of the later colored models, so being that it is a little more complicated to tap into the digital video on these boards it may be better to have someone more experienced do it anyway, lest I mess up and ruin my cherished childhood console.
The installation is the same for every console. The FPC is connected to the RPC instead of the DAC. That also means the pitch for the soldering is quite fine.

I noticed that when I play NTSC games on my PAL N64 the framerate is too high (I believe it is a bit below 61 Hz). My guess is some TVs will not like direct mode then, because the framerate is too much off? Will buffered mode handle the slightly higher incoming framerate correctly?

MAX

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 am

Do you have a rough estimate of the cost? Say ~100?
Will they come with a mini HDMI cable or is that up to the reseller?
If not, do you have a recommended cable?

Bugalo

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:17 pm

I have a question about the upscaling that I believe has not been answered. Are you including an option for integer multiple upscaling? Similar to emulators like retroarch, where it upscales to just a multiple of the internal resolution, and leaves black bands around. Some people will not like it, but others prefer the sharpness and can live with the black bands. I believe it is good to have the option and choose what you prefer.

supermario3

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Before i say anything please don't lash out at me i just want an answer from marshallh on what the status is on hdmi n64 mod. It's been a while and i'd just like to know how much longer it's going to take that's all i'm just really looking forward to it ok. So please don't be mean to me everyone else on here.

Return to “Hardware”