zakurowrath

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:24 am

Some of you may recognize the analyzer from somewhere else. Buffered modes are compliant.
Sure do, just saw the short video KevTris posted on YouTube. This is so exciting Marshall, it's a long time coming but it was worth the wait, congratulations on all of your hard work!!! :)

inspectah

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Here is the video zakurowrath mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNccuaE4BUE

summersofar

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:04 am

Weeks away now? Woot!!!! :D

Tim.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:50 pm

It's the home stretch! Can't wait! :lol:

marshallh
Site Admin

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:41 pm

I have a question about the upscaling that I believe has not been answered. Are you including an option for integer multiple upscaling? Similar to emulators like retroarch, where it upscales to just a multiple of the internal resolution, and leaves black bands around. Some people will not like it, but others prefer the sharpness and can live with the black bands. I believe it is good to have the option and choose what you prefer.
I am adding that feature right now.

marshallh
Site Admin

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:44 pm

One thing I haven't seen much discussion on is the audio and how it is done - how are you getting this off the board? Is it just tapping analog lines off the board and going into ADC for convenience of having audio with the picture? Or is it actually a direct digital output like the picture is now?
If so, Is there any resampling involved? or is it the original samples being output raw? If so, how are games with differing sample rates handled?

Very curious as I'd love to get perfect digital output from the console as well. In any case - great work so far!
The audio is captured digitally and then resampled and filtered to 48KHz. This is necessary because games use lots of very odd, arbitrary sample rates, many of them change sample rates within the same game! And due to prescaling/divider differences they are always odd values like 44096hz, or 31968hz, or 15824hz, etc. It was a very difficult problem to solve.

Mrrom92

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:42 am

Gotcha, super interesting - thanks for sharing this info. Perhaps not the purest possible output but still closer/purer than anything we've previously had available! and of course the only realistic option for most people since most consumer hardware will absolutely not function with anything with an off-standard sampling rate, especially anything changing during playback. Very cool that you were able to overcome that and still provide a digital output for the audio. I can tell a lot of blood sweat and tears has gone into this mod, can't wait till I can have it done on my system.

marshallh
Site Admin

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:50 am

VI de-blur (This actually gives cleaner output than is possible with analog RGB)

Glottis

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:15 am

VI de-blur (This actually gives cleaner output than is possible with analog RGB)

Looks amazing! So crisp and clean.
Man, i can't stand this wait anymore. Just let me give you my money already :P

Btw, since you will be selling this through other peoples stores, do you know if any of them will be selling consoles with the mod already installed? Preferably an NTSC version of the console. Feels pretty pointless to mod my old PAL console for this, as while it'd look prettier, i'd still be playing slower versions of the games. And as nostalgic as that might be, it's not what i'm looking for with this.

And it'd be convenient if i wouldn't have to buy the N64 & mod components separately :)

Bugalo

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:11 am

I have a question about the upscaling that I believe has not been answered. Are you including an option for integer multiple upscaling? Similar to emulators like retroarch, where it upscales to just a multiple of the internal resolution, and leaves black bands around. Some people will not like it, but others prefer the sharpness and can live with the black bands. I believe it is good to have the option and choose what you prefer.
I am adding that feature right now.
Thank you very much for your response and the implementation.

Return to “Hardware”