marshallh
Site Admin

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Several users have reported problems with mini-HDMI adapters. It seems it's a lot better to use a dedicated mini to fullsize HDMI cable.

MobiusStripTech

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:23 pm

One of my customers uses a mini hdmi cable and does occasionally have the issue. He said it's very infrequent.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech
Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Tim.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:01 pm

I have occasionally had this happen with my ultraHDMI. The screen will go black for a second then come back as if the connection was temporarily lost. This is very infrequent (maybe seen two or three times). I am using a quality mini to full sized HDMI cable. It's not frequent so I did not worry too much about it. Using 1.04 firmware and a 64Drive (of course!).

axlanian

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:52 am

Several users have reported problems with mini-HDMI adapters. It seems it's a lot better to use a dedicated mini to fullsize HDMI cable.
I'll give this a try!

summersofar

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Marshall:

Are you still working on and planning to release stand-alone firmware update 'carts'?

Cheers!

RdCrestdBreegull

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Just noticed on a recent My Life In Gaming podcast that someone is having an issue with using the UltraHDMI with an HDMI switcher box. I believe the issue may be directly related to why the UltraHDMI causes issues with the Audio Return Channel of an AVR.

This is the episode:
iTunes
My Life In Gaming
Game & Production Talk (w/2 Player Productions) 2.19.2017
They start talking about it at 50:20, and it goes through 51:58

"...if [the UltraHDMI] is plugged in to our HDMI switcher, it doesn't matter if [the UltraHDMI] is on or off, it will always cause the switcher to jump over to [the UltraHDMI's] input"

marshallh, is there any way we can at least get an acknowledgement of the issue? Just confirmation that you have heard our comments? I love your product but this is causing issues for people :'((
Last edited by RdCrestdBreegull on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshallh
Site Admin

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Just noticed on a recent My Life In Gaming podcast that someone is having an issue with using the UltraHDMI with an HDMI switcher box. I believe the issue may be directly related to why the UltraHDMI causes issues with the Audio Return Channel of an AVR.
The issue is related to the ESD clamps on the CEC line. Many ARC devices use this channel to talk to the TV. The solution is to cut a trace on the pcb for earlier units. It is pretty dicey and requires skill with an xacto knife. By the way, the first Raspberry Pi rev has this same problem.

Hi Marshall:

Are you still working on and planning to release stand-alone firmware update 'carts'?

Cheers!
Yeah, I've had a few panels of bare pcbs made but haven't stuffed them yet. They will probably be reflashable with UltraSave.

RdCrestdBreegull

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

The issue is related to the ESD clamps on the CEC line. Many ARC devices use this channel to talk to the TV. The solution is to cut a trace on the pcb for earlier units. It is pretty dicey and requires skill with an xacto knife. By the way, the first Raspberry Pi rev has this same problem.
So the issue's only on earlier units? So the only two options are to replace the UltraHDMI with a newer one, or to have someone make a highly precise cut? Is there any way you can send a skilled modder (RetroFixes?) instructions on how to perform this repair? I would gladly pay someone to make this cut! Thank you for responding!! :))

networkfusion

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:38 am

Is there any way of getting hold of a spare flex cable? I am in desperate need of one :(

MobiusStripTech

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:26 am

Right now you would need to find someone that has an extra. Unless Marshall has some and can respond. Otherwise you may be out of luck for a couple weeks.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech
Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Return to “Hardware”