tuner240

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:30 am

Is anyone selling these boards close to Florida or is willing to ship to Florida?

supermario3

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:01 pm

where would one get it already installed in the n64?

mistamontiel00

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:30 pm

Pardon off-topic , so PAL can be forced to NTSC vice-versa ..?

Running PAL only gives me black-and-white and the picture is dropped .. always missing some of the screen

3l3tric

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:51 pm

If you want to be an installer (buy kits) just email me as on the front page, I'll send you all the info.
We blew through most of my stockpile -- there are some left still, but it looks like I'll have to turn right back around and get more in production!
Is the stockpile empty now? So hyped for the release!

whyat

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Hey marshall, can you upload fw v1.02 rom the hdmi adapter?

8bitDNA

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:54 pm

I received a Green N64 with the UltraHDMI chip today and have been using it for the past several hours (thank you for the install you know who you are). I have been following the progress of this project for the past 2 years and just now I felt compelled to register for the first time on this forum to share my personal thoughts.

Marshall, what you have done here is nothing short of a technical miracle and marvel. I have been searching for the past 10 years for a solution to the N64's video/graphics problems. I've tried Xbox1 N64 emulation, Project64 PC emulation, Wii/WiiU emulation, sixtyforce OSX emulation, and countless Android emulation options but nothing comes CLOSE too the solution you've provided through the UltraHDMI adapter. No fuzz/no hassles - 100% compatibility, no issues unlike the other options I mentioned. I am absolutely awestruck by the pristine and clear pixels that I am seeing for the very first time. It's as if some fuzzy veil has been lifted from my vision when playing N64 games. I am using the VI De-blur option + Fraction Sharp Pixels option = razor sharp pixels and image quality; really needs to be seen to be believed. Your YouTube video from a few months ago showcased the Retro Mode with the scanlines which looks really good, but the other options I described are breathtaking.

For those of you on the fence about upgrading - do it - it is money well spent. I also own a custom N64 with RGB and built-in component video output which has amazing video quality and even so the jump is dramatic. If the difference is obvious to me with RGB/component video, I am sure the jump for those of you on composite (yellow cable) or S-video will be even more revelatory.

Tim.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Marshall,

Is there an ideal US motherboard version for this mod? I figure if I am going to drop another $130 into one of my N64's, I should make sure it is absolutely ideal.

MrMKHR

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:51 am

@marshallh, could you verify what happens on the "streched" PAL ports that just draw the 240 line picture on the 288 lines? will this still happen or do we get a sharper result because we prevent the stretch?

So that means getting a NTSC console is still the best method (with 64drive).
Hmmm
actually, to be 100% precise, the best would be to have both, one PAl and one NTSC console and pick the best version of each game. the "best" version would be decided by a few factors (cut content, resolution, framerate).
I made a list of all the games that COULD be better in PAL (eg have both, a PAL and a NTSC version) and also started collecting some info on a few games but also noticed quite early that a lot of the info about resolution and framerate out there is contradictory or that I couldn't validate it in my tests. what's worse, I wasn't able to get real comparisons as, in my opinion, that would actually require both games running side by side doing the same actions instead of just recording the intro or similar - lack of monitors and carts...

The list is huge tough and I don't think I will ever get around to doing 240 side-by-side comparisons of pal and ntsc versions. most probably, no one else will, too.

I'm interested in seeing a comparison between Conker's Bad Fur Day running on Rare Replay for the Xbone vs N64 cartridge with a modded system. I assume the Rare Replay version will look a bit better as they probably did some tweaks with whatever emulation method they programmed in, but would it be a huge difference?

Anyone able to check this out?
as far as I can tell the n64 titles feature what you would get from running them in any other emulator at a higher internal resolution. eg still as pixelated for all the sprites but way better for polygonal models. it's the same as you can see on the recent "ps2 on ps4" ports or similar. it looks better than "original" in some parts but the same on the sprites. This "cut" actually might make the whole thing worse for some people, I could imagine.

marshallh
Site Admin

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Marshall,

Is there an ideal US motherboard version for this mod? I figure if I am going to drop another $130 into one of my N64's, I should make sure it is absolutely ideal.
Any version works fine.
@marshallh, could you verify what happens on the "streched" PAL ports that just draw the 240 line picture on the 288 lines? will this still happen or do we get a sharper result because we prevent the stretch?
If the game outputs a stretched image, it "corrupts" the original data so it is not recoverable. Some ports just draw a normal 240 high image with black bars, and the original data is easily stretchable back to the proper size (This is what the PAL-FIX option does)

inspectah

Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:19 am

If the game outputs a stretched image, it "corrupts" the original data so it is not recoverable. Some ports just draw a normal 240 high image with black bars, and the original data is easily stretchable back to the proper size (This is what the PAL-FIX option does)
Do you have a list of PAL games that stretch the image and games that use the native PAL resolution?
Especially the high quality/Rare games.
Or can you tell us how to test ourselves with UltraHDMI (or Emulator perhaps)?

Return to “Hardware”