Brofield

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:59 am

I've been following the project for a while now on the benheck forums, and now that I can actually find the forum registration button and comment and send good wishes your way, I'm more excited for this than ever.

Keep it up, marshallh! It's gonna be magnificent!

Coligion

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Like others, I've been keeping an eye on this project for a few years now. Very exciting to see this project continuing to progress and come to realization. Ironically enough, I did just order an RGB kit for my N64 the other day. I'm very hopeful that it will turn out well and be worth it; I'm still eagerly awaiting the final product for this HDMI mod, though. Keep up the good work!

dsx

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Does the HDMI board add any input delay? At the moment this is the only thing stopping me from playing my N64 on a non-CRT TV.

marshallh
Site Admin

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 am

Yes and no. It's a simple question with a lot of answers. Right now I plan on having two main modes: normal and direct.
Normal involves buffering at up to 0.5-1 frame of delay to allow the TV to continously sync up to the generated signal, no matter what the N64 is doing. As an example, many games switch between progressive and interlaced (Vigilante 8 even does this just for menu FX!) which causes the effective scan rate to change slightly. In direct mode, the video signal will necessarily cut out for 1 frame, and then the timings will change. So your TV will spend several seconds "finding" the signal again, and you'll see your TV's OSD "HDMI Input channel 1" plastered over the screen again. Irritating to say the least.
But normal buffering mode is able to overcome all this. Some people playing the prototype at a conference didn't notice any difference in Super Smash Bros. But in any case the option should be there.

dsx

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Yeah being able to change modes is a good idea. Thanks for the info!

meneerbeer

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 am

Yes and no. It's a simple question with a lot of answers. Right now I plan on having two main modes: normal and direct.
Normal involves buffering at up to 0.5-1 frame of delay to allow the TV to continously sync up to the generated signal, no matter what the N64 is doing. As an example, many games switch between progressive and interlaced (Vigilante 8 even does this just for menu FX!) which causes the effective scan rate to change slightly. In direct mode, the video signal will necessarily cut out for 1 frame, and then the timings will change. So your TV will spend several seconds "finding" the signal again, and you'll see your TV's OSD "HDMI Input channel 1" plastered over the screen again. Irritating to say the least.
But normal buffering mode is able to overcome all this. Some people playing the prototype at a conference didn't notice any difference in Super Smash Bros. But in any case the option should be there.
Really curious, what is the video output mode of HDMI in direct mode? 480i, when the N64 outputs 480i? 480p when the N64 outputs 240p (so line doubled)? Is there also a direct mode for PAL games?

What is the output mode for buffered mode? Basically I am interested in how you process the incoming picture.

Also when you say frame, do you then mean 2 fields of an interlaced picture or one?

NagleIndustries

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:57 am

Are you going to do any sort of bundle for people looking to buy both a HDMI converter and a 64Drive?

marshallh
Site Admin

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Are you going to do any sort of bundle for people looking to buy both a HDMI converter and a 64Drive?
Doubtful, since I am selling the HDMI mods through resellers/installers, not directly.

Tim.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:39 am

Doubtful, since I am selling the HDMI mods through resellers/installers, not directly.
What about those of us that want to do the install ourselves and want to pass as much of the profits to you as possible? :D Honestly though would be nice to offer for those of us with solder experience the option to buy directly from you (with a disclaimer of it is our own fault if we screw up naturally)

NagleIndustries

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:49 pm

What about those of us that want to do the install ourselves and want to pass as much of the profits to you as possible? :D Honestly though would be nice to offer for those of us with solder experience the option to buy directly from you (with a disclaimer of it is our own fault if we screw up naturally)
Agreed. I'd be for this.
No install support or warranty; Gives up all rights to complain and nag.

Return to “Hardware”