RdCrestdBreegull

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:11 pm

It's really time for marshallh to update the main site with the installers list, when people from europe are already considering sending their consoles to NA.
It has been over 2 months since this thing released.
Should I wait until the official announcement is made on the main site? Or should I just go ahead and send my N64 to an installer now? I ask because what if I do it now and then in a month or two the UltraHDMIs have been slightly updated/improved.

inspectah

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:24 pm

You can update the UltraHDMI via 64drive or other flashcarts.

RdCrestdBreegull

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:04 pm

So will there be absolutely no physical changes to the hardware in the coming year?

inspectah

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Only if a major bug is discovered which isn´t fixable with a firmware update.
I think the chances that this will happen are very low.

marshallh
Site Admin

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:21 pm

So will there be absolutely no physical changes to the hardware in the coming year?
The hardware has been finalized since June. There may be a HW2 eventually as chip prices change but it's a pretty big endeavor and won't happen without good reason.

I have a couple tricks left up my sleeve still with the firmware -been optimizing some stuff. Freeing up 200 bytes foe CPU code is huge!

axlanian

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:45 pm

The hardware has been finalized since June. There may be a HW2 eventually as chip prices change but it's a pretty big endeavor and won't happen without good reason.

I have a couple tricks left up my sleeve still with the firmware -been optimizing some stuff. Freeing up 200 bytes foe CPU code is huge!
Good to hear! BadAss Consoles still has my N64, it's been there for about 5 weeks because I asked him to overclock it as well, and had to wait for parts to arrive. Is there a firmware update for the audio issue that people are talking about? I don't have a flashcart myself, so I wouldn't be able to do a patch after the console is shipped back to me.

marshallh
Site Admin

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:37 pm

http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be/install ... /rn_fw.pdf

1.03 is out and fixes that issue. Mr. Badass can probably upgrade it for you before sending - the upgrader file is on the installer page. I haven't hashed out whether to make it public yet since it opens up the bricking liability can of worms.

Tim.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Marshall,

From the installer page:
2. Poor cartridge connection - data will be interrupted if it crashes
Aside from seating the 64Drive and loading a normal game ROM is there any other way to ensure a solid connection? If I am able to load Mario 64 and run around the castle for a minute should that be validation enough that I can begin the firmware upgrade?

3l3tric

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 pm

Marshall,

From the installer page:
2. Poor cartridge connection - data will be interrupted if it crashes
Aside from seating the 64Drive and loading a normal game ROM is there any other way to ensure a solid connection? If I am able to load Mario 64 and run around the castle for a minute should that be validation enough that I can begin the firmware upgrade?
I read that as there being a poor cartridge connection issue during the data transfer. As in, you bump the cartridge during the transfer. If you're able to get into the 64Drive menu and load the upgrade ROM and start it, you'll be fine, just make sure the N64 is on a stable surface and that there is nothing that can fall on the cart.

I'd really only be concerned if you've had corruption issues before that you know aren't related to the ROM. If you're not sure if you've seen a corruption issue, you probably haven't, as they're typically very apparent (severely deformed models, shrieking high-volume sounds, etc.)

FelsenMann

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:19 am

Is there a way to unbrick a board (if it actually ever happens) via, for example, an ISP connector or something? Just as an example an AVR ISP programmer is just a few bucks. So, I don't know what marshallh used but I guess there can be a cheap way to reprogram the board where it would be necessary to open the casing but still something that most people can easily do at home.

I'm more concerned about power outages while updating, maybe I should finally get a UPS. :)

Return to “Hardware”