PurePixels

Re: N64 HDMI converter thread

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Hi there! It seems we have entered the hot phase of production and distribution, so I have registered here to keep on top of things after following this project for a long time.

Marshallh, can you tell us if and when a full list of installers will be released? I'm asking because I only found out by sheer chance about the small handful of installers that are already selling the UltraHDMI. Since I'm in Germany, to my current knowledge I would have to turn to VideogamePerfection in the UK or Consoles4You in Switzerland, but I'd love to know of any possibly cheaper installers close to me before the next shipments are sold out. Thanks so much for your efforts!

protheanbeacon

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:48 am

Well you wouldn't have to turn to Videogameperfection and other EU based sites if you don't want to Purepixels.

I'm relatively sure Wes Almond of retrofixes.com (my go to guy for mods) will do business with people in your neck of the woods/world just as well as us in the states. :)

Though I can't promise you the shipping costs would be very enticing. :oops:

Anyway just letting you know this information now because I believe Wes currently has an N64 HDMI board or more to sell at the moment so if you're saying all the other sites are sold out of em you may be able to secure your board from retrofixes.com now if you don't want to wait for modding sites closer to your country to replenish themselves. :P

Bjorn81

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:23 pm

I actually asked Retrofixes, but unfortunately he said he doesn't have the equipment for running and testing PAL (EU) consoles. If you have an NTSC console though, I'm sure he could help you. Don't know if Badassconsoles accept PAL N64s. I had no idead about the Swiss installer, VideogamePerfection was the only one I knew of in Europe. I'm guessing the reason that no list is out yet is because the demand is so extremely high, and some installers probably don't want to be completely overwhelmed with requests when they struggle to keep up as it is.

RetroFixes

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:22 pm

:D Just dropping by to say Hi

Glad to see a few of my HDMI installations in this thread.

PAL consoles: I am currently bringing in some new equipment for fully testing & modding PAL systems.
I wasn't ready at the beginning of the HDMI installs.

PAL is not a difficult mod but I like to make sure everything is 110% with N64 upgrades.
Long Transits (Euro to USA) brings more risk to consoles. Therefore I want to test things completely before accepting PAL systems from abroad.

I'm sure some vetted modders will popup in Europe eventually. :P

RdCrestdBreegull

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:26 pm

So looks like I'll need to pick up a 64drive to ensure I can get firmware updates when they come out. If I'll pretty much only be using the 64drive for this purpose (until I figure out another use for it) will I need to purchase a separate micro SD card? Or does the 64drive itself have enough memory in it for the firmware updates?

Also if you do end up changing the hardware some time down the line, and we already have the first model of UltraHDMI installed, can we send it to an installer again to get it replaced with the new hardware?
Bumped my questions since I got no answer. Anyone know? Thanks :)

APE

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:14 pm

PAL consoles: I am currently bringing in some new equipment for fully testing & modding PAL systems.
I wasn't ready at the beginning of the HDMI installs.

PAL is not a difficult mod but I like to make sure everything is 110% with N64 upgrades.
What special equipment? All you need is a PAL cart.

inspectah

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 am

I think it makes more sense for europeans to wait for the official reseller list, then to send their N64 over the atlantic.
Shipping costs alone make almost half the price of the mod itself, it would be absurd to do that.

tuner240

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:53 pm

So looks like I'll need to pick up a 64drive to ensure I can get firmware updates when they come out. If I'll pretty much only be using the 64drive for this purpose (until I figure out another use for it) will I need to purchase a separate micro SD card? Or does the 64drive itself have enough memory in it for the firmware updates?

Also if you do end up changing the hardware some time down the line, and we already have the first model of UltraHDMI installed, can we send it to an installer again to get it replaced with the new hardware?
Bumped my questions since I got no answer. Anyone know? Thanks :)
Okay, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, here we go. I'm sure you can play N64 roms on the 64Drive, as well as run homebrew apps and NES roms (added bonus instead of just buying it to update your HDMI firmware :) )

But I am also on the fence about the 64Drive and have a couple of questions for you Marshall, or anyone else knowledgeable enough to answer. :)

Is the 64Drive going to be a for-sure method of firmware updating for the HDMI mod?

And I was reading that there is two games the 64Drive cannot play (with the exception of one with some type of fix). What are the games that the device cannot play (support says check the manual for a list of said games, but I cannot find this list after reading the manual several times) and what is the fix for the one that is fixable?

Thank you ahead of time. There are a few games for the N64 that are just ridiculously expensive and if I can play them via the 64Drive and update the firmware of the HDMI mod, I'm sold. Again, many thanks for your time in both reading my short novel here and in answering my questions.

TLDR: What games does the 64Drive NOT PLAY, and is the 64Drive a for-sure method of updating the firmware for the HDMI mod hardware in the future?

inspectah

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:31 am

Is the 64Drive going to be a for-sure method of firmware updating for the HDMI mod?
Yes.
Marshall already released updates for the UltraHDMI in rom format for the 64drive (or any other N64 flashcart), but the files are not public (yet).
Firmware Upgrades
UltraHDMI can update its own firmware. This is done by running a custom ROM on a flashcart. I also have plans for very inexpensive throwaway cart PCBs that can be shipped out to upgrade customer's units without much risk of loss. New orders will always be shipped with the most current stable firmware.
And I was reading that there is two games the 64Drive cannot play (with the exception of one with some type of fix). What are the games that the device cannot play (support says check the manual for a list of said games, but I cannot find this list after reading the manual several times) and what is the fix for the one that is fixable?
The games in question are Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini, they have special copy protection.
You can read about the whole issue on page 8/9 of the user manual (Section: Lockout Chips):
http://64drive.retroactive.be/64drive_manual.pdf

In short you have two options:
- Solder a 6105/7105 CIC to the 64drive and run the clean roms of said games.
- Patch the roms of said games with the cracks that are available:
Banjo Tooie NTSC Crack
Banjo Tooie PAL has no crack, you need the 6105/7105 CIC to run it.
Jet Force Gemini NTSC Crack
Jet Force Gemini PAL Crack

Use WinAPS to patch the clean roms (Tutorial here).

tuner240

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 am

Yes.
Marshall already released updates for the UltraHDMI in rom format for the 64drive (or any other N64 flashcart), but the files are not public (yet).
Firmware Upgrades
UltraHDMI can update its own firmware. This is done by running a custom ROM on a flashcart. I also have plans for very inexpensive throwaway cart PCBs that can be shipped out to upgrade customer's units without much risk of loss. New orders will always be shipped with the most current stable firmware.
The games in question are Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini, they have special copy protection.
You can read about the whole issue on page 8/9 of the user manual (Section: Lockout Chips):
http://64drive.retroactive.be/64drive_manual.pdf

In short you have two options:
- Solder a 6105/7105 CIC to the 64drive and run the clean roms of said games.
- Patch the roms of said games with the cracks that are available:
Banjo Tooie NTSC Crack
Banjo Tooie PAL has no crack, you need the 6105/7105 CIC to run it.
Jet Force Gemini NTSC Crack
Jet Force Gemini PAL Crack

Use WinAPS to patch the clean roms (Tutorial here).
Many thanks!

Return to “Hardware”